Brand: A.W. Faber
Made in: USA
A very old Faber pencil dating to the 1860's. Apparently Eberhard Faber had its first operations at 133 William St. NY until 1877. Depicted above is the front and reverse of the same pencil. The lead is square, and the reverse is marked 133 Williams Str. N.Y.
The company was originally established in 1761 when a carpenter by the name of Kaspar Faber (1730-1784) opened a small pencil factory in Stein, Germany. The business was called “A.W. Faber” after his son, Anton Wilhelm Faber (1758-1819), who grew the company into a flourishing pencil manufacturer. In 1900, an heiress to the Faber fortune (granddaughter of Lothar Faber) married a count of Castell and the newly united A.W. Faber-Castell soon began producing a high-quality line of “Castell” drawing and copying pencils. The company has its headquarters in Stein to this day, now operating under the name Faber-Castell with 8,000 employees worldwide.